|Name||Department of Physiology and Biochemistry|
|Head of Unit||Frenyó V. László|
|Address||1078 Budapest István u. 2.|
|Postal address||1400 Budapest Pf. 2|
|Phone||+361 478 4163|
|Fax||+361 478 4165|
|Extension||+361 478 4100 / 8400|
|Location||Building C I. Floor|
Detailed information regarding the subjects taught by the Division of Physiology can be found at www.vetphysiol.hu,
while actual information concerning the educational activity of the Division of Biochemistry are provided at www.biochemvet.hu.
History of the Physiology Department (Veterinary science)
An independent department of Physiology was founded in 1872 and Lajos Tanhoffer (1943-1919) was appointed as head.
Tanhoffer initiated the experimental approach in veterinary physiology and in a broader sense in veterinary science in Hungary. His 700-page book on comparative physiology illustrated with his beautiful drawings was published both in Hungarian (1883) and German and became a huge success.
He was head of the Department until 1890.
Imre Regéczy Nagy, doctor of medicine, then Sándor Korányi, doctor of medicine (1891-1892) lectured on Physiology. In 1892 Ferenc Tangl, doctor of medicine, took over the Department. Researches became intensive during his time at the Deaprtment.
He was followed by Géza Farkas in the position in 1908. In the same year, the building was rebuilt, an extra floor was added to it.
In 1922 Géza Farkas was succeeded by Professor Dezső Deseő, who put more emphasis on teaching histology.
In 1948 Péter Bálint, Professor of Medicine, was appointed as Head of Department. During this time the teaching of histology and physiology became separated. Special attention was given to physiological chemistry.
In 1950 he was appointed director of the Institute of Physiology of the University of Medicine.
Between 1950 and 1952 Ernő Gyarmati, doctor of human and veterinary medicine, was the Head of the Department of Physiology.
It was the year of 1952 when with the appointment of Armand Kemény a doctor of veterinary sciences became Head of the institution for the first time. He headed the Department of Physiology until 1973. His textbook of ?Physiology - for veterinary students and veterinary doctors? was published in 1966. Armand Kemény realised that biochemistry should be treated as an independent discipline. This approach is reflected in his book and is in perfect harmony with the biochemistry textbook that was also compiled at the Department by Zsuzsa N. Gáspár. Biochemistry was lectured on by Béla Tóth until 1973, then by Ferenc Kutas until 1996 and by Tamás Veresegyházy from 1996 until 2012 on a very high level. At present, Zsuzsanna Neogrády and Gábor Mátis continue giving lectures on the subject.
Between 1973-1990 György Pethes, veterinary doctor, headed the Department. He was the first in Europe to have a B-level radioisotope research laboratory built. He introduced the usage of modern methods of radio immune analytics.
From 1990 to 2006 Professor Péter Rudas was the Head of the Department. He was a distinguished professor of the Faculty, an outstanding professional, an internationally acknowledged lecturer of his scientific field, a pioneer. Professor Rudas introduced teaching physiology within a multimedia system and produced the appropriate multimedia teaching material, for which he received high recognition also on an international level.
At present (from 2006) Vilmos László Frenyó manages the Department. He focuses on moving away from traditional teaching methods towards interactivity trough digital solutions. For several years he was the Rector of the University of Veterinary Sciences.
László Frenyó also holds functions in numerous prestigious scientific, professional and social organisations both in Hungary and abroad (Hungarian Conference of Rectors, UNESCO, Salzburg Seminar).